U-M FACILITIES PREPARATION and SERVICE for 2010 SEASON DAYS
During the holidays, please call:
- 763-1131 (or 911 from a campus phone) to reach the Department of Public Safety for crimes, safety concerns or to request spill response.
- 647-2059 to reach the Plant Operations Call Center for maintenance requests (including custodial, grounds and parking maintenance).
PLANET BLUE THE SUSTAINABLE DIFFERENCE (ENERGY REDUCTION)
Please do your part to help reduce our utility consumption. Help make a positive impact on the environment and our budget.
- Turn off all unused office and room equipment such as computers, monitors, printers, fans, coffee pots and lighting. Also unplug chargers for cell phones and PDAs.
- Close windows to prevent water pipes and sprinkler heads from freezing, and to save energy.
Building facilities managers: Provide Building Automation Services (BAS) with schedule information via email (PO-BAS@umich.edu), or by phone (763-4013) if you must have ventilation turned on due to special events or activities in offices, classrooms and other areas that will be used over the holiday period from 5 pm December 23 to midnight, January 2: Animal rooms and research areas with fume hoods or special ventilation requirements will not see any reduction. Close fume hoods and where available switch them to "low" or "unoccupied."
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
Throughout the U-M campus, we need your help in order to reduce emergencies and maintain a safe and secure environment. Please remind your staff, faculty and student colleagues to complete the following before they leave their work, research or living areas for the holidays:
- Close and lock all windows and doors
- Secure valuables
- Lock desks, rooms and closets
- Double-check that all chemicals are properly capped and research operations properly secured while unattended.
Building facilities managers: please email your building hours to DPS as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org so DPS staff are informed and can appropriately respond to incidents that may occur.
PLANT OPERATIONS SERVICES
- The Key Office will close to walk-in service at 3:45 p.m. December 23. The office will re-open January 3. Call the Plant Operations Call Center at 647-2059 for emergencies.
Building facilities managers: Regular custodial services will conclude December 23. Upon request, limited custodial services dedicated to common area and rest room cleaning will be provided during season days. Email your custodial service request to the Plant Operations Call Center (email@example.com) as soon as possible. Waste collections for trash and recyclables will be monitored during the season days and will occur on an as-needed basis. Call the Plant Operations Call Center at 647-2059 if there are additional needs.
OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND ENVIROMENTAL HEALTH
- Contact Occupational Safety and Environmental Health at 763-4568 before December 17 for approval of radioactive material deliveries on December 27-30. Deliveries may be scheduled if lab staff are available to receive the packages and properly secure them.
- Waste collections for radioactive waste, chemical waste and medical/pathological waste will be conducted through December 23 and resume January 3. Call 763-4568 before December 17 to request special pick-ups.
PARKING AND TRANSPORTATION
U-M Transit Services
There will be NO BUS SERVICE on Saturday, December 25, or Saturday, January 1st.
Regular U-M campus bus and UMHS shuttle service will be modified as follows:
- Commuter: Regular service will run through Thursday, December 23, and will resume Monday, January 3.
- Bursley/Baits: Regular service will run through Thursday, December 23, and will resume Monday, January 3.
- Northwood: Regular service will run through Thursday, December 23, and will resume Monday, January 3.
- Friday, December 24, Northwood buses will run every 40 minutes from 7:35am-6:15pm. See the December 24 schedule at www.pts.umich.edu.
- December 26-31 and January 2, Northwood buses will run every 40 minutes and will follow the Winter Break schedule. For details, please see the schedules posted at www.pts.umich.edu.
- UMHS shuttles: Regular service will run through Thursday, December 23, and will resume Monday, January 3.
- Monday, December 27: Thursday, December 30: to provide service between Lot M75 and the Medical Center, a special Mitchell Express shuttle will run every 20 minutes between 6:30am-5:30pm. It will not serve the Wall Street or North Ingalls Building stops.
- Paratransit Service: Regular service will be available through Thursday, December 23. Service will resume on Mon January 3. All U-M buses are accessible.
- Parking enforcement will be suspended for permits and meter fees in all U-M parking areas except the Simpson Circle (Mott) Structure, North Entrance (Cancer Center) Structure and Cardiovascular Center Structure from 5:00pm December 23 until 6:00am January 3. This policy does not extend to the City of Ann Arbor parking areas.
- Orange Lots M75 and NC78 on Fuller Road will be available for parking December 27-30 with shuttle service to the Medical Center provided every 20 minutes from 6:30am-5:30pm.
- Medical Center evening and night shift staff with Yellow or Orange permits who cannot be accommodated by the special Mitchell Express shuttle service will be allowed to park at the Taubman Structure (Parking A) during the holiday break (December 24 - January 2). Please enter through Lanes 9 or 10 and exit through Lanes 13 or 14. To minimize the impact on patient parking, we request that staff park in the south annex.
- Patient and visitor parking at the Taubman Parking Structure (Parking A), Cancer Center Parking Structure (Parking B) and Cardiovascular Center Parking Structure (Parking C) will continue normal operations throughout the holiday season, except December 25 and January 1 when parking will be free. Patient and visitor parking at the Fletcher and Palmer structures will be closed throughout the holiday, December 24 through January 2.
- Fleet Services will close at 5pm December 23 and reopen at 6:30am January 3. Vehicles to be rented over this period will need to be picked-up prior to closing on December 23. The Fleet Services office telephone 764-3427 -- will be forwarded to an informational voice recording.
- The Service Station at Baxter Road will remain in service throughout the Holiday/Season Day period. The Kipke site will be accessible on a limited basis, as the gates for lot SC10 will be closed during non-operational hours.
- The Fleet Services Garage will close at 12:30am December 24 and reopen at 7am January 3. For vehicle emergencies at times when the garage is closed, please contact the U-M Department of Public Safety at 763-1131 for assistance. Your call will be returned by a garage supervisor.
Ann Arbor Transportation Authority (AATA)
- Visit www.theride.org for their service changes during the holiday season.
We wish you a safe and happy holiday season!